I am always deeply moved by traditions. Isn’t it beautiful to have a custom or practice passed down generations! With that said in my own ways I’ve always tried to modify traditions to suit the times we live in, whilst still respecting its cultural essence.
This recipe tries to do the same. It takes the traditional North Indian aloo gobhi, a vegetable dish made with potato (aloo) and cauliflower (gobi) in an onion and tomato spiced marinade, combines it with the delicately aromatic coconut milk and transforms it into Aloo Gobhi ka Shorba.
Shorba or soup, a hearty comfort dish. Served as is or with a side of rice or roti. Either way every mouthful is a comforting moorish delight.
So in five simple steps learn to make this dish and add a quick and easy weeknight meal to your meal plan.
One medium cauliflower, cut into florets
Four medium potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
One medium onion finely chopped
Thumb size piece of ginger, finely chopped
400 gms of tomato purée
500ml of light coconut milk
One bay leaf
Four to five cloves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
One teaspoon cumin seeds
Two teaspoons garam masala powder
One teaspoon coriander powder
One teaspoon cumin powder
One teaspoon sugar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt to season
Four tablespoons of vegetable oil
Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, onion and ginger. Cook a medium flame until aromatic and onion is lightly caramelised.
- Add tomato purée and dried spices. Mix well and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes or until the oil separates from the tomato paste.
- Now add potato and cauliflower, lemon juice and mix well. Ensure the tomato paste evenly coats the vegetables evenly.
- Now add coconut milk, sugar and salt. Mix well and let the Shorba simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve as is or with rice or roti. A beautiful dish combining my family’s North Indian heritage with our love for coconut milk.
If you liked reading this recipe and are keen to try out more such recipes, please don’t forget to follow me on Instagram or Facebook. Simply look for @lipsmackinglydelicious