Since the start of year 2020 and the pandemic, all of us would wish that these years didn't even exist. But the fact is that Covid made us all slow down and spend time with our families. Before Covid, we were all in a rush to either catch a bus to school, drive to the office or take those late night meetings, skipping meals and what not. Not only this, we and our children were able to catch views of clear blue sky, which was only seen in story books lately.
While it seems to be challenging managing home, kids and work at the same time, we cannot deny that it is the perfect time to create more memories, click more pictures. Of Course we cannot afford to come in contact with more people and hire a photographer for the same, but we can try the same at home using these easy tips.
The tips and tricks mentioned below can be applied using a professional camera or just a regular smartphone. The point here is to keep trying and making as many pictures as possible to get a collection of those perfect moments
- Come down to their eye level : Clicking your kid’s picture by kneeling down to their height makes a lot of difference in the whole composition. Get under that table and catch them playing with mud, or trying on your makeup. This also gives you a chance to capture their beautiful eyes close enough.
- Keep it a surprise : If you are planning an outdoor photoshoot, don’t let them know or else they will feel it’s a task. Kids have a habit to just do the opposite of being said, so better keep it as a Playdate (you can include their best friend too). Not only this will bring smiles to their faces but also you will catch them in their best of moods.
- Using Backlit technique : This might sound intimidating but after some practice you can easily master it. The idea is to click them with a light source behind them, like a window or a door. This works both for indoor and outdoors. You can use summer evenings or winter afternoons to catch a backlit sun with sun flares too. Just position the light source on either side of their face corner and you will see that magical light peeking through.
- Avoid posing : When we ask them to Smile, they either almost never smile or give a very creepy one. We do not want that! Let them be real and just click the way they are in their raw form. You want to remember the stupid and cute things they do everyday as they age.
- Use Black and White edit : At home there are hundreds of things lying around and not everytime you would want to clean it up to click a picture. You want to capture an emotion or a moment you saw without wasting any time. But what about the distractions? Simple, you can just convert the picture to Black and White and see all the distractions vanish, focusing on that one moment. To bring the focus more, use the technique called vignette, which darkens the edges more to bring attention to the center of the image.
My website : https://www.candidmemoirphotography.com/
Instagram handle : https://www.instagram.com/candidmemoir_photography/