Photoshoots are always an amazing way to create great pictures together but it's important that you prepare your child atleast a night before. Let me tell you a secret as a photographer, you cannot ask a kid to smile if they don't want to! Ya, that's for real and that's why it is very essential to make sure you and your child are on the same page. Doesn't matter if you have an inhouse shoot or an outdoor location to go to, these tips will help you to prepare your kid for a photoshoot :
- Keep them informed : Surprises are good but not in this case. We need to make sure your child knows there is an event with a new person coming in. You cannot expect the little one to be all smiles about a man/woman pointing a huge camera on their faces out of no where.
- Introduce the photographer : Show them the photographer's picture and tell them his/her name. This way when your little one meets the photographer, it's not a new face to be scared about. A small tip to photographer readers here, an innocent chocolate never hurts anyone. Hand over a chocolate to the kiddo while you meet and introduce yourself. Better if you can crack a joke too!
- Carry his/her favorite toy : This way you are fulfilling two purposes, one, you have a mood lifter in case the child gets cranky, second, you get memories with their favourite toy to look back at.
- Explain the process : The child depending on the age, might not understand what a photoshoot is why a person is clicking images nonstop. So to avoid the annoying situation, you can explain the process as in why the pictures are clicked, how they will look. Also tell them they can play, run and do their favorite thing as much as they want. Since that's what build the candid shots.
- Carry snacks : If the photoshoot is outdoors, it's essential that you carry a water bottle and some snacks like chips cookies. Photoshoots can be tiring and these carry ons are always a life saver.
Photoshoots are successful when everyone enjoys the process along with being comfortable. As a photographer, my motive is to capture real emotions, real giggles, real smiles and these tips will help you and your family be ready for them all.
My website : https://www.candidmemoirphotography.com/
Instagram handle : https://www.instagram.com/candidmemoir_photography/
Founder & Photographer @Candid Memoir Photography