Everyone loves Dal Makhani. It is soul food for many. A must have for all festivities in a North Indian home, but due to its rich preparation many of us are compelled to give it a miss in lieu of our health. Now, what if I told you that the secret to making the perfect Dal Makhani without having to add too much butter is the number of hours you cook the lentils. Yes, you read it right. So, the next time you are craving for Dal Makhani, no need to think twice. Just prepare yourself a perfect bowl of Dal Makhani to relish on.
That was just one of my secrets to preparing a sumptuous bowl of Dal Makhani. What if I told you I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve.
Imagine, you are low on stocks in your kitchen and there are unexpected guests over at your place. The first thought that comes to your mind is "What to prepare?" But worry not, because today I will be sharing with you a delicious Dal Makhani recipe which you can prepare with only 10 ingredients and absolutely no prep time. I am very sure that you and your guests are going to love this recipe, which these day I famously call "The 10 ingredients only" Dal Makhani recipe. So let's started.
The 10 ingredients only Dal Makhani recipe:Urad dal whole - 160 gms/1cup
Rajma - 1/4 cup or 45gms
Butter - 100gms/ 1/2 cup
Ginger paste - 12 gms/ 1tbsp
Garlic paste - 12 gms/1 tbsp
Kashmiri chilli powder - 12gms/ 11/2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Fresh tomato puree - 350 gms/ 1 1/2 cup
Dried methi leaves - a generous pinch
Cream or Milk - 175 ml/ 3/4 cup
Tempering (Optional)Oil - 1 tbsp
Garlic chopped - 1/2 tbsp
Butter(optional) - 2 tbsp
Method1. Soak the dal & rajma together for at least 3 hours. Now rub it and wash it clean.
2. Add 5 cups of water and boil in a pressure cooker till the dal splits and becomes thick.
3. Separately, chop tomatoes and puree them (make a fine paste)
4. In a pan melt the butter and saute your ginger and garlic paste for 2 minutes.
5. Now add the Kashmiri chili powder, stir and immediately add the tomato puree.
6. Cook the tomatoes till they turn thick & specs of butter ooze out.
7. Add this cooked tomato mixture to the boiled dal along with all the water.
8. Cook the dal for another 30 mins. (remember, if you are using less butter but are aiming for that perfect Dal Makhani taste, spend more time slow cooking the lentils.)
9. Add some more butter (optional) along with dried methi leave and cream or Milk. (While milk doesn't give it the same thick consistency but it tastes just as good. So, on the days when you are just craving for some yummy dal makhani but are out of cream, just go ahead and use milk instead. You wouldn't be disappointed.
10. Tempering (Optional) : In a separate pan heat oil and add chopped garlic. Brown the garlic and add it straight to the boiling dal. Add some more butter, remove and serve hot.
To learn more, click on the tags below: