What you wear to a photo session makes a lot of difference to the final pictures. It can completely change the way you feel about the full gallery vibe. As a photographer, a lot of thinking goes into the colors combinations, patterns, preparations to make sure the pictures come out beautifully.
Telling what to wear can be very specific to every family and not all rules apply in the similar manner to each person. Having said that, there are some pointers you can keep in mind while choosing the whole look. These tips will help you to bring out the best in your photos.
1. Avoid patterns/prints : This is one clause that I emphasize very strongly, reason being prints and patterns can be a big distraction. In an outdoor photoshoot, there is a lot going on in the background and the key is to make your family stand out. Wearing clothes that can add more elements to the image where we are trying to narrow it down to your expressions can be more damaging than you can imagine. Wearing near to solids with little texture may be always a safe choice.
2. Understand the colors in background : If you are having an outdoor photo session in a park, there will be a lot of greens and browns, so we need to avoid these 2 colors. If you are having a shoot at the lakeside, then avoid blues. In case your photo session is indoors at home, check what color your furniture is and wear colors contrasting to them. Rule of thumb is to just check your location and the colors you get at first sight of it and totally avoid them.
3. Choose pastels when in confusion : Light pastels never fail to add beauty to your pictures. You can explore a lot of options like Sunshine yellow, minty green, cotton candy pink or a peachy shade. Light warm colors always add more to your emotions and moments.
4. Have a color palette : What helps you more is creating a color palette and then seeing what goes best for whom. There are a lot of websites available which provide a free service to create your own color palette and even have pre curated palettes to start with.
5. Choose comfort over anything else : Colors, textures, etc etc all matter but what matters is what is the comfort. You and your family should feel comfortable throughout the photo session. If you end up choosing something which your kids are not able to breathe in, they will end up being cranky and the whole session will be a mess.
These are some easy breezy tips to keep in mind while choosing your attires for that special photo session. The idea is not to bring on more stress but to be more mindful while curating the whole look.
Pro tip : If nothing works, and you need something to work bang on, choose whites! Pair them with your favorite denims and you are good to go.
Founder & Photographer @Candid Memoir Photography
Website : www.candidmemoirphotography.com
Instagram handle : @candidmemoir_photography